Karin at the The Quilt Yarn has tagged me to participate. (YAY!)
The rules are:
- every tagged person has to tell 11 things about themselves
- the person who tagged you asked 11 questions, answer those questions
- ask 11 questions for the 11 blogs you are going to tag (the people you tag should have less than 200 followers)
- mention the blog that tagged you, but do not tag them back.
11 Things about me:
- First and foremost I am a stay-at-home Mom of 3 beautiful girls, Angelina 10, Chelsea 8 and Bethany 6. I've been married 9 years on November 23rd to my wonderful husband Charlie
- I read books.. ALOT of books, I have a personal library of my favorite authors and books which over the years has varied from around 50 to over 500 books, lately I am down around the 200 mark, I think I need a kindle :D
- I love music, all sorts of music I listen to almost everything even classical but my favorite genres are heavy metal, blues, lite rock and folk
- I used to cross stitch and crochet on a daily basis but got out of the habit when I had babies, I was simply terrified of finding my baby with a needle or crochet hook in an eyeball, sewing on my machine was more containable! (Ridiculous notions new moms get lol)
- I hoard vintage fabric, if I can get my hands on it, it will be mine. I especially love really heavy duty cottons and feedsack prints that are pre-1960's
- I really enjoy playing card games like cribbage, whist, hearts, spades, euchre, and canasta (hand and foot as well) but no one likes playing with me since they lose frequently, I've been accused about 3 different times of card counting :D
- I am originally from Calgary, AB but I've lived all over most parts of western Canada including the Yukon.
- I am a sci-fi and fantasy fan, I love to play RPG's (roleplaying games for those not in the know of gamer terminology), I used to play Everquest online on the Morell-Thule server when I was working graveyard shifts many moons ago and I love playing video games on my Xbox (KINECT!!!! YAY!) and Wii, my kids are over the moon that I will get sweaty and breathless on Star Wars Kinect with them or play Legend of Zelda on the Wii cause their friend's parents don't do that. (Mom you are SOOOO cool!)
- I am an avid martial arts fan, I've taken a few different disciplines but I find that once we start getting hardcore I get really aggressive (adrenaline kicks in :D) which is not so great around hubby and kids. So I usually stick with Tai-Chi and Qi-Gong at home, unless of course my kids have hidden my DVD's on me, I've been looking for 2 months so far, that's good exercise right?
- I admit that I watch Phineas and Ferb on the Disney channel religiously... I crush on Ferb <3 If you haven't watched, catch an episode they are so funny!
- I love chocolate and I hate the regular use of OMG! or other trendy catch phrases.. I know I am not trendy... AND PROUD OF IT! :P lol (Yes I like emoticons 0.0) Eat more chocolate people! (The good stuff, not the crappy supermarket shelf stuff)
My 11 questions to answer:
My favorite book? I don't have any quilting books... *shame* I don't know why I am not interested in quilting books, the ones I've seen are kind of blah. There are a couple I am wanting to look at but I have to wait until we can get to the city to find them.
What is your best sewing tip?
My best sewing tip is the simplest.. Practice! Practice! Practice! Get your basics down pat, this makes life much simpler.
What is your favourite quilt tutorial?
So far I've got a few lined up to do, but I have only done one, Giant Granny Panties, I love it to pieces but I think my favorite is Jenny Doan's Katie's Quilt tutorial found on You Tube. That will be my next quilt project once I've got my UFO and WIP quilts done.
How did you get into quilting?
Seriously, I was dragged into it kicking and screaming, my good friend and mentor Suzanne had been asking me for atleast 2 years to go with her and I kept saying no. I had no desire to or want to quilt, it looked way too complicated and too much work as it was I had enough junk on my plate and didn't want to add in something that would just frustrate me to no end. I finally said yes in December 2011 and now I can't imagine my life without doing this.
What styles of quilts do you like most?
Mmm that's kind of tough to answer, the easiest way to put it is I like quilts that are unique and original and don't have a mass-production look or feel. For example traditional quilts (I mean really traditional not modern versions of) really had a sense of character and uniqueness even though people were using the same type of patterns. The idea of using what you had on hand and remaking it really appeals to me.
I think to many modern day quilters get stuck in the rut of always buying new and matchy-matchy fabric that has to be from the same designer and the patterns have to be just so, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with that preference it just isn't to my taste.
What is your favourite quilting gadget?
I don't really have any fancy gadgets although I admit I did buy pinmoors and I love them, I hope to be able to buy a bigger bag soon so I can do larger quilts all over with pinmoors rather than a combo of them with safety pins.
Do you buy fabric when you need it for a project or do you buy fabric more spontaneously?
I don't buy fabric if I don't have to, I like to hunt for treasure and reuse bits and pieces that I come across. If necessary I will buy what I need based on a project and specifically for that project. Admittedly I do have the same weakness as every other quilter I know and occasionally I can't help myself and I have to buy fabrics simply because I love them so much :D
Where do you get your inspiration for your quilt designs?
Usually from a piece of fabric, I hope that doesn't sound silly it could be the pattern or a particular color that I see in the piece that will spark my imagination. I've got a couple of ideas drawn out that were inspired by a piece of music and sometimes just something someone says can click out an idea. I am really open to getting inspiration from anywhere.
Are you using Pinterest, Twitter or Facebook as well as running a blog?
I am on Facebook but I keep my quilting life separate from my social life for personal reasons.
What sort of things do you enjoy when you are not quilting?
I read of course :D and I enjoy spending time with my family or friends, I also like to bake and cook as well as think about quilting! ;)
Do you belong to a quilting group?
Yep, I belong to the Mile '0' Quilters Guild. Wonderful group of ladies.
My 11 questions:
- What is your most favorite quilt you have ever done?
- What is your favorite quilting technique?
- Applique. Yay or Nay?
- Which piece of fabric that you have or have ever owned would you do almost anything to have more of?
- If you could teach one thing to someone about quilting what would it be?
- What do you listen to when you are quilting? Favorite book? Favorite Music? Television program or Movie?
- Are you a Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter color scheme lover?
- What is your favorite book and/or author?
- You are stranded on a deserted island, you only have your book of needles, what you are wearing and what resources the island has to offer, what are you going to quilt?
- If there is one project that you have admired but never had the courage to attempt, what is it?
- Where is your favorite place to be?
People I've tagged: